Sunday, October 12, 2008

"This Lifetime"--In Pursuit Of Olamide & How I Ended Up On Myspace

Actually, my first blog experience was in 2005 when I somehow was surfing the internet on my very first computer which was given to me by the husband of one of my friends. Y'see he worked as a computer tech and was always fixing computers which people sometimes failed to pick up. My birthday had been that June, and I was seriously depressed because of some mysterious pains which later became diagnosed as PLANTAR FASCITIS-- a painful ailment of the feet-- which had me unable to walk unless on a cane.
I was several hundred miles from family, friends, and such-- and my BFF's had me over for dinner and presented me with my first computer--a laptop!
Well-- I was astounded and afraid of it but it was gonna be so much fun! A welcome diversion to get immersed into something other than my own woes.
Welll--- somehow I started learning how to navigate it and would read newspapers from the midwest, which is where a lot of my family was at the time.
Summer soon passed and about the first of October, there appeared an AP article on just about every site I would visit--- a desperate plea from a young college student regarding the disappearance of her roommate--- a young African woman from the suburban Chicago area. They were both students at Illinois State University.
The name of the missing 21-year old was Olamide Adeyooye, and she had been last seen leaving a video store. A campus troublemaker, whom everyone deemed as 'creepy' and 'gross' was known to have made unwanted advances to almost every female on campus and he, too, was missing--- along with her car.
You could feel the fever pitch of concern growing to help this girl's family and friends to bring some sort of resolution to her plight. I was feeling desperate as well--here I was, a trained healthcare professional--disabled--no salary--no good to anyone--not even myself.
I remembered that I had written some words years ago as lyrics to a song. I just wanted to do SOMETHING---people were volunteering to go to Illinois for pep rallies, search parties -- I mean --this was now a nationwide search.
I wanted desperately to contribute-- contribute anything toward this nationwide plea for help. The effort was organized through this new thing that I had never heard of called 'Myspace'...
Soon all these KIDS-- young enough to be my grandchildren-- were freely and unabashedly exchanging thoughts and ideas with me--a complete stranger-- I felt such a responsibility to them all-- because they were also revealing things that showed me that each and everyone of them were in danger EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK AT THESE COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES.
WHAT was I going to do? It would have to be purely a mental effort--because physically--I was barely getting from one room to the other.... an yet they needed me. I gave what I had. I gave my words.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox


Tuesday,October 23, 2005 8:45 p.m.
"THIS LIFETIME"
When I think of this lifetime--
I think of all the places... the people...I might have been
Compliments of this lifetime-- but sort of in between the story...
that might have been...that might have been
Soft, cool, and clean---Angel spread out your wings and let's fly thru the clouds and the melee--such a happy day..and I just wanna play...
...But we're moving on --
this life is just a stage where all the stars can't wait to get on---
The die is cast--take your places now, we've just got to get started...
before it's time...before it's time...
Remember all your lines.
Gotta get the story told---
--do you know the time?
I get so excited!




It's almost time for this lifetime---all the flair, the fanfare of this lifetime ---
to fade away.
But in that life was such a happy place and still it lives...is here to stay...
Within my heart, a special place, where love can gleam---
A firefly---with angel wings----
and they dance---
and they dance---
and they dance.
@1997niambi steele

No comments: